Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Alternate Perspective from Dally

By Leah

I slammed down on the breaks hard. The whole church was on fire! Ponyboy suggested we go see what happened. “That’s stupid, I said “Johnny Pony get your butts back in this car!” They had jumped out and were running towards the church where a group of kids stood.

“Get back here.” I shouted. They didn’t hear me; if they did they ignored me. Those stupid kids will never learn. I decided I might as well go after them seeing as there wasn’t anything else to do. I ran up the hill just in time to see Johnny and Ponyboy clamber into the church through a broken window. “Hey,” I yelled, “what are they going in there for?”

“Some of our kids are stuck inside; they went in to rescue them, such brave boys.” The woman replied with a look of terror.

“Are they mad? They’ll get themselves killed. Boy when I get a hold of them I’m going to beat them so hard…” I stopped suddenly, aware that the woman was looking at me as though I’d just killed someone. I sniggered quietly at the look on her face then waited with everyone else. In no time at all, a window busted open towards the back of the church. I could see kids being let down gently onto the grass. If it was me, I would have just darn dumped them out the window and beat it out of there. At the same time, I could here the wood cracking with the weight of the fire. I ran towards the window. As I looked through I could see Pony’s face struck with ashes staring back out at me. I was so mad at him. “ For Pete’s sake get outa there! The roof’s gonna cave in any minute. Forget those blasted kids!” I hollered. He ignored me which only made me get madder. I realized with a sudden panic that the roof was about to cave in. All of the kids were out and Ponyboy soared out the window. Oh my God, I thought. His back was on fire and he had some burns. I clobbered him so hard on the back, to put the fire out of course. He dropped to the ground like a ton of lead so fast I was worried I’d killed him. I could hear Johnny’s screams by now.

“Don’t worry Johnny I’ll get you out.” I reached into the window. A searing pain sped up through my arm. It was on fire. I jumped inside. My only thought was that I had to save Johnny. I had to. The roof of the church was giving in, I knew that in any second Johnny Cade and I would be lost to the fire. I pushed Johnnycake out the window with the strength that was left in my free arm. I clambered back on out just as the whole church hit the ground. Johnny was lying on the ground with burns all over his scarred face. He was out cold. I cussed my arm trying to put the fire out.

After everything cooled down I remember being hoisted in an ambulance with all these medical guys running around me to see if I was ok. Shoot, I thought, why would anyone care how I was? I was wheeled into the hospital. As they rushed me by the waiting room I could see Ponyboy sitting in one of the chairs. “If you ever pull a stunt like that again I will beat the tar out of you,” I said. Into another room they rolled me. Johnny’s moans could be heard wheeling down the hall into the extensive care. I could still smell the smoke.

I was sure bored at that hospital. They kept doing stuff to me when I just wanted to get right out of there. I was even more worried about Johnny. Last I saw him he looked pretty busted up. It sent a twang of panic through my heart. He might never get better…

One day Time Shepard came to see me. Boy was I surprised. “Hey Dal.” He said.

“What are you doin’ here?” I asked

“Thought I might as well come and see you. You’re in the paper as some sort of hero. I was sure surprised when I didn’t see the ‘wanted dead or alive under it’ O’ course it don’t matter.”

“How are things going back up your way?”

“Well the big rumble is set for tonight. Shame you’re not going to be there; we could really use you.”

“Aw shoot. I would give anything to be in that rumble and smash those Socs’ faces to the ground.”

“Too bad.” He left after we talked about what had happened with the fire. I could tell he was surprised that I went back in to save Johnny. I wished the nurse would tell me something about Johnny. She didn’t say nothing even after I threatened to pull a blade on her. O’ course I wouldn’t have used it.

A few hours later Ponyboy and Two-Bit came to see me while the doctor was here. I grinned up at them as they walked in. “Hey y’all. Boy am I glad to see you, this hospital is a dump. This man won’t even let me smoke a pack. What’s wrong with these people?”

“Same old Dally,” Two-bit said with a grin. He sat down as though this was his home or something. The doctor left us and I asked Two-Bit for a pack of smokes. He handed it over. I lit the cigarette and in a more concerned voice I said, “So uh, uh how’s the kid?” I tried to sound casual but I was sure Ponyboy caught the note of panic in my voice.

“He didn’t look too good, passed out cold right before we left.” Two-Bit answered.

“Hey Pony, are you gonna come in and sit down or just stand in the doorway like a post?” He sat down awkwardly. I knew something was bugging him. It must have been old Johnnycake. “You know Tim Shepard came by, rubbed the rumble in my face. Boy I wish I could be in it.” I sat there thinking for a bit. “Hey Two-Bit, you still got that black-handled switchblade?”

“Yeah” He whipped it out of his back pocket. That switchblade was his prize possession. It was one tuff knife. He never missed a chance to threaten a Soc with that thing. I’ve never actually seen him use it. “Hand it here,” I said. He gave it to me without hesitating. I put it under my pillow for later. “I need to be at that rumble tonight. We’ll do It for Johnny.” I said my eyes blazing with anger. Anger specially reserved for the Socs. Ponyboy and Two-Bit left after that and I was left all alone to think things over. If I’m gonna make this work, I thought, I have to time it right.

2 comments:

kim said...

This is good! it shows how Dally is feeling and makes him feel almost human. Key word is human. You might want to check the punctuation in the first paragraph or so, but other than that, I like it!
~Kim

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

U bring soooooo much emotion to such an emotionless and cool character.
-Mlevi