Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Outsiders, from Darry's perspective

Andrew Lehr

March 12, 2008

Period: 3+4

The Outsiders, from Darry’s perspective

It was Monday morning and I had nothing much to do. Mom and Dad wouldn’t like that though, even if they were dead. I had to do something for them or Pony or Soda. Ponyboy was walking home alone today. He rarely uses his head. I don’t know why.

Out of the blue, Sodapop runs in screaming, “Ponyboy got jumped, we gotta go see him.”

I sprang from my feet and ran out the house as fast as my legs would churn. A block away, I saw him and sat him upright because he couldn’t hold himself up. Ponyboy was an average sized person, but he never uses his head. He had long hair like most greasers. I don’t, I like mine short and nice.

I said, “Are you all right Ponyboy?” I was shaking him to see if he could talk.

He said, “I’m okay. Quit shaking me Darry I’m okay.”

“I’m sorry” I replied.

Pony may not think I’m sorry, but I was. I didn’t know if he was hurt severely or not. I’m always extra hard on him because Mom and Dad died so I have look out for him.

I jammed my fists into my pockets. “They didn’t hurt you too bad, did they?” I said.

Pony said, “I’m okay”.

Ponyboy was bleeding like crazy and until Soda told him, he was clueless.

Sodapop was a crazy kid who just loved life and everything in it. He would always stand up for Pony, except that I was trying to teach Ponyboy responsibility and how to be strong. Soda was a beauty. He was handsome and slick and everyone loved him. He dropped out of school because he was dumb. His mind is mainly set on girls and fights.

Ponyboy was a great kid and everyone can love him. But sometimes he doesn’t know what to do in tight situations. Like today, Pony walked home alone without anyone from the gang. Not Two-Bit or Soda or Steve. He just didn’t think of what the consequences were of walking home alone.

If Two-Bit was walking by himself, it would be fine. Heck, one time he fended off five Socs with one busted bottle. I wasn’t joking, he scared all of them away. Ponyboy probably could maybe take out one or two, but not five. Not until he was older and stronger. Ponyboy would grow up. I just have to make him grow up quicker.

Johnny was the smallest of the gang. He always followed Dally and he was the only person that could disagree with Dal. Johnny was a nice kid and all, but he didn’t have the guts like Soda and me, and someday Pony.

Dallas Winston, what couldn’t you say about him? Dally could easily take out every Soc at anytime. That hood was crazy. He only has the gang, no one else. He doesn’t mind though. He actually likes being himself. Dally was an amazing fighter, and maybe even could take me. Dally was a hoodlum at heart and nothing else. He would never take “no” for an answer. The only thing he likes in the world is Johnny and rumbles and fights. Pony seems afraid of him, but who isn’t?

Steve was Soda’s best bud. They were always getting in friendly fights and contests, always making up at the end. Steve was a pretty okay kid. He does like Ponyboy, and helped me hit the Soc that put the blade to him. Soda loves him, but who couldn’t? You can’t take that boy serious.

About me, I am 24 and I love the gang and I have two jobs, one as a roof builder. I love to show off my muscles. I get it from my dad. Boy was he strong. He could lift me, Soda, and Pony with two hands. He was amazing. He will always be my role model forever. Everyone loved him and mom. They were Socs I think. But, they loved everything. Like Soda. Mom was deep person and couldn’t use her head sometimes. That’s were Pony gets his complexity and doesn’t get his brain. Mom always was running in to something or forgetting an egg was in the pan. She was a wonder. I can see why Dad chose her.

6 comments:

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

Very creative. The way you wrote this story proved Ponyboy's perspective in the book was sometimes wrong.-Bryan

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I think your story was really good and that you had nice flow
-Dan

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

Annnndddreewwww! good story... i liked seeing it from darry's point of view. i could rally understand why he is the way he is


Meredith

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I liked how there was a paragraph for the discription for each of the members of the gang, from Darry's point of veiw.-Preeya

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

Mwyeah, pretty good, you just introduced all the chatracters.
-Wesley

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

Grrrrrrrrrrreat Job Andrew!!! I really like how you told it from Darry's point of veiw. I also liked how you described the relationship between Darry and his brothers.
~Shaiba Rather @_@