Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dally

Dan

I was supposed to meet Pony and Johnny under the street light at the corner of Pickett Sutton. So I was just standin’ there under the light when they came, they were early. They, being early, bought us some extra time so we went and messed around at the drugstore in the shopping center. We were just walkin’ around, starin’ at things that were layin’ out in the open and easy to take.
“Get the heck out of this store before I loose my job because of the likes of you filthy hoods!” an employee hastily yelled at us.
“Why’d he say that Dal?” Johnny said.
“He caught me stealing some magazines and a pack of weed” I replied.
So we walked out of the store as he so pleasantly told us to do. It was too late for him to kick us out though, well at least for his reasons. I had already hid a pack of smokes and two packs of Coke in my jacket. We were bored after that so we went down to sneak into the daily double at the Dingo.
We knew everybody there, they were all either hoods or greasers like us. We walked around, got in and out of cars, but mostly talked about random crap rather than watching the movie. When I was done talkin’ with everyone so I walked down along the aisle in the non-car section of the theater, screwin’ around with Pony and Johnny, when I saw a dang good lookin’ broad. She was just sittin’ there, with her friend tryin’ to watch the movie.
“Hey look Pony” I said, “see that red headed doll over there?”
“Yeah, what about her?”
“I dunno, I guess she’s just mighty fine, for a soc.”
We walked a little further and found three empty seats right behind that red head and her friend. “Aww! It’s a chick flick!” I thought to myself, “Well I better enjoy it while I can.”
“Hey babe, are you a real red head?” I romantically whispered in her ear, “Ya know one of those feisty hot headed broads?”
“First of all my name is Cherry, Cherry Valance and I don’t appreciate you trying to swing me like that” she scolded.
“Oh, so you are a normal hot headed little red head.”
“No, I’m just not interested” she snapped.
“Well at least in a hood” she mumbled.
Tryin’ to still impress her I dumbly thought “I’ll go get her some cola, to cool ‘er down”. So I stood up and told Johnny that I’ll be right back and if Tim Shepard comes by say that you haven’t seen me all day.
I walked up the aisle and into the snack shop. There were tons of popcorn stands, cola stands, and candy stands all over the place. I went straight to one of the cola stands and got three Cokes. I chugged mine as soon as I got it, and started out for the door. I found my way half to our seats when Tim Shepard came by.
“Why I oughtta…” he threatened.
“Why you oughtta what, look at me to death, I’m so scared!” I said.
“I oughtta call the fuzz on you, ya’ slashed my tires!”
“Prove it”
“Gggggrrrrrrrrrr” Tim mumbled. Tim silently ran off into the streets as I walked back to our seats.
“One for my lady and one for her lovely friend” I said handing a Coke to Cherry and one to her friend.
“The name’s Marcia.” Cherry’s friend giggled.
“I won’t accept this from you, you…you…you filthy hood!!!” said Cherry while she dumped her Coke in my face, Marcia sipped her Coke until it was bone dry.
After that I left, I figured that if she don’t like me, there’s no point in me staying, I’ve got better things to do.

4 comments:

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I really like this! Especailly the dialect that you used, it makes me really think that Dally is saying every word. Great job!

Meredith

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

Dally's character really came through. The scene was pictured well. - Leah

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

You were able to tell what Dally was thinking even when they didn't say it in the book or movie. Nice.
-Wesley

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I love your story it has great dialect and a really good plot. great detail.
-Irina