Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Outsiders from Johnny's point of view

The Outsiders (From Johnny’s Point of View)
By: Preeya
“Oh, glory!” Dally whispered. The church was on fire.
“Let’s go see what the deal is,” Ponyboy said. He hopped out of the car and I followed. Dally was yelling at us about how we had better get back into the car or he was going to bang our heads together, but all that I was worried about was that maybe Pony and I had started the flame.
As Ponyboy and I approached the crowd around the fire, we heard a lady talking about how some kids had gone missing half an hour ago and she couldn’t find them. Then we heard a faint cry of distress that seemed to be coming from the burning church. Quickly, Ponyboy and I ran up to the side of the church. Though many people were trying to stop us, we were determined to save those kids.
Ponyboy threw a rock at the window to make an entrance for us. The smoke was overwhelming. It seeped into my lungs, choking me. My eyes watered and it made it difficult to see, but Ponyboy and I weren’t going to give up. Racing, we speed down the hall until we found a group of four or five, eight year olds huddled in a corner.
“Help, help us, please save us!” one of the children screamed.
“Shut up!” I yelled, “We’re goin’ to help y’all!” Ponyboy grabbed the closest kid at gently dropped him out the window. Hastily, but gently, Ponyboy and I tossed the rest kids out of the window.
Right as the last little girl was out I heard the ceiling start to give way. I shoved Ponyboy through the window into the safety of outside. Suddenly I heard a beam from the ceiling creak loose from the nails that held it in place. I tried to move but I realized that my foot was caught between two floorboards that had separated during the fire.
That moment, as a watched the beam fall, seemed to last forever. Slowly it released itself from the ceiling and fell. At a snail's pace, it fell, slowly until finally it knocked me over. The pain was excruciating, and I screamed. Then everything went black.
When I woke up in the hospital, I was numb, but for only a moment. Suddenly pain pierced my body. Scars all around my body burned like the fire I had just been in. I cried out in pain. Nurses and doctors flooded into the room. One nurse pressed a button which slowly relieved my body form the unbearable pain it was in. The others rushed to pour pain reliving medicines into my mouth and onto my scars. Finally I was able to relax. At last I was able to ask the question that had been bothering me for a while. “What’s happened?” I managed to get out before I my lungs seemed to collapse, and I was overthrown with need of air.
After I overcame my coughing, chocking fit, a doctor said “Don’t worry kid, you’re in the hospital. You were in a fire and a burning beam fell on top of you and broke you’re spine, and paralyzed you from the middle of you’re back down.”
“What happened to Ponyboy, and Dally” I asked, careful not to speak to fast or to loud for fear I would have another heart attack, “Are the kids alright, am I gonna go to jail?”
“Calm down, calm down,” a nurse said,” everything is going to be just fine. And why in the world would you go to jail? Your friends are going to be just fine. And every single one of the children who were in the church are fine because you and your friend saved their lives. You should be very proud of yourself.”
After a couple of hours I sort of got used to the pain strikes. Suddenly I noticed that every nurse and doctor that came in wore a look of pain, grief, and sorrow. They looked at me like I was going to die or something. Then I realized what if I did die. The doctor said that I had some really bad third degree burns, and that the beam broke my back really badly. I could barely speak for a minute with out having to gasp for air. I immediately pressed the call button next to my bed. The doctor that head been treating me the most came to my side and asked me if anything hurt and if I needed pain medicine. “No.” I said, “But I do have a question. Am I going to die?”
The doctor looked at me, with big sorrowful eyes and said “Johnny, I’m going to tell you the truth because you deserve the truth. Not many people get serious burn like yours, along with a broken back. Really, not many people survive this kind of injury.” He paused, and the room fell silent.
“Okay,” I said “Thanks for helping me so much, and telling me the truth.” The doctor left the room without another word. I was stunned. Before, when I was home, I had always thought of killing myself, I hated the life I lived and I wanted it to end. But now that I am dying I feel that sixteen years isn’t enough. I hadn’t gotten to do the things I wanted to in such a short time. It’s amazing what some experiences can do to you.
The next morning, I was visited by a little girl, the last little girl to escape from the fire. She seemed a little scared to come in and see me, but thanks to a little coaxing from her parents, who waited outside, she came in.
She came up to me and, speaking softly, said “Hello mister.”
“Hey.” I croaked.
“Ummm…well…I just wanted to thank you for saving my life…” she quietly spoke. I was stunned, no one had ever spoken to me so nicely, and with so much love.
“Gee…you’re welcome…I guess.” I said. Not quite sure how to respond.
“Are you a super hero, mister?” ‘Cause ya sure do seem like one.” She said, breaking the awkward silence.
“Uhhh… no, I’m a greaser.” I said. The little girl had a really confused look on her face, but not wanting to talk much more she didn’t ask. Then she waved her little hand and walked back to her parents, leaving me shocked.
Because of her, I know that it’s alright if I die. Those kids’ lives are worth more than mine. I was thought of as a superhero. I may not have gotten what I wanted to, or lived as long as I wanted, but at least, because of me, other kids will.

2 comments:

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

awww, that was sweet. u did a good job with the perspective.

-christine

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

i love the creative license you used with making the little girl come in and seem it really added alot to making it come from his perspecctive
FANTASTIC JOB

-bella