Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Alternate Perspective Story

The Outsiders
Perspective Story
by Laura
I am sitting in the back seat, taking a sip of the beer that Randy just handed to me, trying to relax after the tough day. Suddenly, I hear Bob call out
“It’s the greasers, the two that picked up Marcia and Cherry at the movies, lets go jump ‘em” in a wobbly voice because he had too much to drink, like always. I am in no mood for a fight, but I know that if I won’t join them, I am going to be pretty bad off myself.
As we were pulling up, the greasers showed no fear and continued on walking with a steady pace, however one of them, I think the one that we jumped once, almost killed him to death, looked back at us with fear in his eyes and whispered something to the other greaser. I don’t know the other greaser’s name, but I know his two other brothers: Sodapop and Darry. Darry used to be best buds with Paul until his parents died and he took on a job instead of going to college (he was a good quarterback). As for Sodapop, I have to admit, he looks like a movie star in the middle of nowhere. I never really liked jumping anyone, but there is not much else I could do for fun so I go along with it anyway. Bob, Randy, Paul and I got out of the car. Bob went on calling the greaser’s white trash, and the greaser’s went on calling him something I didn’t quite catch on to. All of this was just buzzing by me and I didn’t feel very good, the last thing I knew was Bob was ordering me to dunk the kid in the water and keep him there, but then something snapped, I just couldn’t take it anymore, I yelled “STOP!” Bob gave me a confused look and said
“Since he ain’t gonna do it, Paul you dunk him while I have a little chat with Dave”
Bob pulled me aside and said
“What the heck are you doing, I know you don’t like that white trash anymore than I do.” That is when something just snapped again and I couldn’t hold it in, I said,
“Leave them alone for once, just because they aren’t rich it doesn’t mean that you can abuse them. Also, look how unfair this is; four against two, when you get drunk you just don’t think about the reality Bob, you have to wake up sometimes and look at what your doing from a different angle.” As soon as I finished Bob just stared at me in shock when words came back to him he started cursing and telling me all the bad things about me, but nothing really mattered anymore, I said it and I can’t reverse what just happened so I just walked on home. However, my words didn’t change anything. Bob went back to the gang and continued on dunking the poor kid in to the fountain. Although I changed nothing, I know that I was not part of this whole mess and this is good for a start.
Next Chapter
When I woke up, the first thing I could think of is call Bob, but then I remembered what happened last night and I know I that I can’t call Bob after that incident. So I decided to go out and get the newspaper. I put on my wine colored sweater, my cream colored jeans and my leather jacket (not my best one.) I slipped out of the house without telling my parents (not like I ever do) because it was 8:00 am and I didn’t want them yelling at me at this hour. I got in my dad’s red mustang and drove to the super market right down the block.
When I entered, all over the walls were newspapers with “Shocking News” as their headline. I walked up to one of them and it said, “Robert Sheldon was killed last night by two greasers, we don’t know what there names are yet but some say that they are heading toward Texas….”
Every single bone and muscle in my body was numb, I knew that things wouldn’t end too well for Bob but I didn’t think that he would die, and that if he did die, not this soon, seventeen years is not enough to live, he could have changed. It’s too late to think about this anyway. I pity him, but he deserves it. I can’t believe I am saying this, I would not have said it a day ago, but I think that I finally woke up from this terrible dream that all of us have been dreaming- Bob, Randy, Paul, Joe, Ron, Zack, Me, and all the rest of the Socs.
The work is done, and I can’t do anything about it. As much as I hated what Bob did for fun, he did not deserve what he got. I want to find out more about what happened last night so I sat back into my dad’s mustang and drove off to Paul’s house. When I got to Paul’s house he wasn’t there and his mom told me that he just left. I was pretty sure that he went to Randy’s and I was right. He and the rest of the gang were trying to convince Randy to go to the rumble which is in a week because Randy refused to go. I am not planning on going to the rumble myself but I want to keep it private or else Paul and the rest will torture me the way that they are torturing Randy right now. I know that they are in no mood to tell me right now what happened last night so I just left unnoticed.

3 comments:

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

i really like your ending!!!
it was nice to see it from a different point of view...a bystander. Great job!

Meredith

ps- nico and jesse say hi!!!

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I like how you captured a bystander's point of view, how they really did want to do the right thing.

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I really like how you did it from a bystanders view, I never thought of it that way. Good job! Dalton