Wednesday, March 12, 2008

DALLY AT THE MOVIES

Christine

Black, white, and grey pictures flickered off the screen, scripted words I heard. Oh, they were like those movies that Ponyboy likes so much. I moved across the grounds, eyeing the many gangs; I even chased a few small junior-high kids, just teasing though, mind you. They’re so small and short. I don’t remember ever being that small. I feel like I’ve been this big, mighty guy all my life.
It was getting late, so it was easy to defy the rules. The sky was all dark, midnight blue, that’s the color. But whether it was dark of not, I didn’t really care. Let me tell you, I never pay for my fares and I always break the laws. I take the illegal train. Tickets and fees and rules are so dang stupid. Every one of those laws- stupid. I always break the rules; I purposely break the rules. It’s downright known that I never follow regulations. Rules make things so much harder and complicated. Besides, it’s fun to break them. I get caught, big deal. Dang it, it don’t affect me no more than mud takes on a pig.
Now Ponyboy and Johnny, they seem to have some holy ghost upon them. They never do anything wild and exciting. Oh sure, they follow us older boys around, but they’re kinda like wimps, if you get what I mean. Ponyboy’s never even held a piece of broken bottle for more than a few minutes. And I know Darry and Soda know that too, well, that Ponyboy’s not much of a gang fighter. Johnny, well he never did like all this fighting too much. He’s not too partial, I suppose, on gangs and all the violence that takes place. But that’s Johnny, and I don’t mind it. He’s like my family, my brother.
So this was one of those drive-in movies around the area. Of course, and I can bet you this, that Ponyboy knew exactly where we were. He’s definitely different than the rest of us Greasers. Well sometimes he is, with his “artsy” emotions and how much he spends just thinking. Anyways, picture me, walking all cool and collective. I’m cool and I am collective, so don’t be messing with that thought. So, I see these mighty fine girls sitting in one of the rows. It’s a pretty nice night out. We meet glances and I stare at them pretty coldly. This was great. Girls are so easy to tease and pick on. Guys, they’re tough and cold. They turn cold. But girls aren’t like that. They show their emotions. Girls are so much fun to play around with. Come one, what can say? They just are.
There was this one girl; she was sitting next to some other girl, who seemed to never shut up. This girl had the truest color of red hair I’d ever seen in my life. Maybe the only person I’d ever seen with red hair. I sat right behind her, taking my butt and sitting it down. I started to talk really loud. I guess you could say I was trying to pick this girl up. She was downright pretty and there was a good chance I could, maybe. Ponyboy had a little doubtful look on his face and Johnny just looked nervous and he quickly got up to get a coke, what a boy.
This girl wouldn’t take any of my nonsense. I mean, I flirted; I even played with her fiery red hair. She just ignored me, kind of sat there, chewing her gum real loud, as if that would cover up my voice. I put my feet up on her chair; maybe this would get her attention. I winked at Ponyboy. I said something I guess I shouldn’t have said and she abruptly turned around, all mad in the face, and said, “Take your feet off my chair and shut your trap.”
That sure got me fired up. I looked at her, just kept on looking. I kept my feet there. They felt quite comfortable there, actually.
“Who’s gonna make me?” I said.
The real annoying girl turned around and told the redhead, “That’s the greaser that jockeys for the Slash J sometimes.” I don’t know about you, but it seemed like she thought I was deaf. I don’t care about them Socs calling me a Greaser. I get that way too much to even care. Turning hard and cold, well, that’s what happened to me. Then it occurred to me.
“I know you two. I’ve seen you around rodeos.”
“It’s a shame you can’t ride bull half as good as you can talk it.” That’s what the redhead one spit out right back at me. I don’t take no bull from anybody and she sure knew how to talk back trash. Maybe that’s why I kept on talking, trying to get her to like me. She got me fired up and I guess I kind of liked that feeling. She could be a keeper, this one.
“You two barrel race, huh?” I said.
“You better leave us alone, or I’ll call the cops.” The redhead said back.
That’s real funny, calling the cops. The cops sure scare the heck out of me now, huh. This girl sure was one to tell jokes.
“Oh, my, my, you’ve got me scared to death. You ought to see my record sometime, baby. Guess what I’ve been in for?” I questioned her. I don’t think she knew I was such the bad boy. Heck, going to jail, being arrested, what’s that mean to me? My goodness, you should’ve seen that redhead’s face when I said that.
“Please leave us alone,” she said. “Why don’t you be nice and leave us alone?” I grinned like a wildcat.
“I’m never nice. Want a coke?” I asked her. By golly, the redhead was mad then. She was fired up so badly now.
“I wouldn’t drink it if I was starving in the desert. Get lost, hood!” she screamed back at me. Then I knew I wasn’t welcome. Whatever- didn’t bother me. Maybe she did have a little thing for me. Certainly hoped she did, since she was mighty cute. I guess I just couldn’t see it. I shrugged, stood up, and walked away to get some cokes.
The coke line was long, so like I always do, I budged and cut. There is point in fussing about being first or last, at least for me.
“Man, let me through, you piles of junk. You let me first, all of you! Move! Are you deaf?!” I shouted, pushing past those people. Dang it, some people just never understand that when people need to get somewhere, they should make a clear pathway.
It was hard enough to push the people aside, but then came the annoying cash register clerk. He said I had to get in the line, and all the way to the back.
“What? Do I look stupid to you, clerk?! I was here first! My god, I’m just buying a couple of cokes for some of my friends!” I shouted some more, saying anything that would make this stupid man listen.
“Kid, you can’t just cut in front of this people. Go to the back of the line. You have to, kid.” The clerk said.
“I ain’t goin’ anywhere. I ain’t standing up for any of this bull you’re giving me. Come on, let me buy the cokes!” I shouted, knocking over some plastic cups. I was feeling fired up and hot in the face. My hands clenched in a fist. I was about to bust this man’s face open.
“Alright, kid. Okay, alright. H-How many cokes?” the man asked. I grinned and paid for the stupid cokes and walked outside. I knew heads were turning as I, the tough Greaser, walked out to the movie. Man, why can’t people just cooperate once in awhile. The world would just work so much smoother.
I think Johnny was looking for me when I got back to the movie. Ponyboy was deep in conversation with the red-head. Johnny looked kind of nervous. I mean, that’s just how the kid is. But I think it’s funny that his biggest chance of ever picking up a girl is right in front of him and he’s just sitting there, fidgeting. God, Johnny.
I came up to them with an armful of cokes and handed one to the redhead. I sat down beside her and said, “This might cool you off.”
She looked at me in disbelief, as if I did some big terrible thing and then she threw the dang coke at me.
“That might cool you off, greaser. After you wash your mouth and learn to talk and act decent, I might cool off, too.”
Oh man, this girl was feisty. She knew how to put up with grease toughness and she sure was adamant about what she wanted and stood by it. I wiped the coke off my face with my sleeve and I grinned.
I think, little red head, it’s time to get a taste of your dirty medicine.
“Fiery, huh? Well, that’s the way I like ‘em.” I said, grinning even more. I tried to make a move, putting my arm around her, getting real close.
“Leave her alone, Dally,” someone said.
It was Johnny. What was up with him? I was trying to have a little fun. Come on, this is fidgety Johnny, we’re talking about. This is poor little Johnny, who don’t know a rock from a pebble, that’s taking sides here.
“Huh?” I said, completely surprised.
Poor Johnny was scared out of his wits, looking like he was about to pee in those pants. He gulped.
“You heard me. Leave her alone.” Johnny repeated.
Nah, I can’t hurt Johnny. Steve, Two-bit, even Soda, I would’ve crushed ‘em right there and then. Man, Johnny. Why does he gotta be like that, being my favorite, “the pet”? I scowled; I knew I definitely wasn’t welcome now. That was twice I’ve been unwelcome. What was up with that? I stood up, and walked off, hands in my pocket. I was frowning or maybe I was scowling, but I sure was unhappy. Johnny finally had the guts to be the hero.


But why did I have to be the bad-guy?

5 comments:

kim said...

This is awesome. It shows what Dally might have been thinking very well. Try reading it out loud, there's a few places that sound kinda weird, but overall- Good!
~Kim

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

wow christine this is good. But I think Dally is a little too deep and poetic in the beginning, a little like Ponyboy. Your story's really interesting though and I feel like I can feel what Dally is thinking.
-Emily

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I like how you make him a little softer when you do his perspective
almost like he knows hes not that bad
i really like this one i think you really did a good job at getting into it

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

Your story is very good it really explains Dallys personality

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I really liked this story, you portrayed Dally's personality really well as if the reader was Dally himself. THe beginning was didnt fit how Dally would think too much, but overall, it was great.

-Khalil