Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Outsiders scene: the story of Bob's Death

This is Pony’s track coach’s point of view when the story about the death of Bob got out…

The smell of bacon greeted me when I got up that day. After taking a quick shower, I went down the stairs, grabbed a plate of food and went into the family room. After placing the plate on a small table in front of the burgundy couch, I went back to the kitchen and poured myself a cup of orange juice. I returned to the family room, put down my cup, and turned on the TV. It wouldn’t be long before I had to get to work today. I turned to the news station and began eating my breakfast. At 5:15 sharp, they always reported the traffic, and I wasn’t about to be late today.

The reporter looked up from his sheaf of papers, and with a grim face, began speaking, “Breaking News. A 16 year old boy, Robert Sheldon, was found, dead in a public park this morning. Police investigating the crime scene have released that the stabbing happened between 2 and 3 o’clock this morning. Police have also questioned the victim’s friends, who claim that Johnny Cade and Ponyboy Curtis were the cause of this.”

I lurched and choked on a mouthful of egg. Ponyboy? As in Ponyboy my track star? He would never kill another human being! Saying that is saying… is saying the sun is green! Ponyboy was… no is a dreamer. He would never do something like this, never…

“Police advise people who have seen these boys to keep their distance and not approach. One of the two is armed and dangerous. I repeat, one of the two is armed and dangerous.”

I couldn’t think. Pony wouldn’t hurt a fly. Well… he would, but he’s a Greaser. They were brought up doing this kind of thing, and Pony was no hood. Pony is no hood. There is absolutely no way that he could have killed somebody. Absolutely no way. The newscasters are lying. They’re lying. Pony would never do something like this. Or would he? As a Greaser, he had the crimes committed by the Socs blamed on him or his friends. I’d seen it with my own eyes before. It was unlike Pony… but he, he might have wanted revenge. I turned off the TV and got up. There was one way to verify things. Pony lived in a house on my way from home to the school. I could check there. Better yet, was the fact that I pass the park just before I pass his house.

I picked up still full plates and returned them to the kitchen. When I reached my car, I paused for a moment and took out a small picture. It was of Ponyboy at our last track meet. We had won, and Pony was gleefully being hoisted into the air by his family and friends. The small trophy that he had won for the school was in the care of his brother, Darrel. If I remember correctly, Darrel had played football before he graduated. I frowned. According to Mr. Steignburg, Darrel had loved being out on the field. Why had he quit?

I shook my head, clearing it of distraction. I was driving, and if I wasn’t paying attention, then I would crash. I slowed as I came up on the park. The police had put up bright yellow tapes, and there were still emergency vehicles at the curb, but if I held my head just so…

There was no body, but I could see the coppery red stain left by the blood. Bob obviously had been killed, but it couldn’t have been Pony. Pony couldn’t have been there. He wouldn’t stand for such things…

I saw Darrel and Sodapop, Pony’s brothers, standing nearby, and headed over to them. “Hey Darrel. Hi Sodapop.”

“Good morning Coach Rhead,” came the dispirited reply. I frowned. From what I remembered of the dropout, Soda had always been excitable and carefree. Something was up.

“Where’s Pony?”

“Missing.” Darrel’s answer was short and curt. But… Ponyboy was missing. There was a dead body in a hearse going to one of the graveyards in West Side. The victim’s friends claimed it was Pony and one of his friends… There was only one conclusion that could be drawn from all this. Ponyboy had been part of this murder. Maybe he hadn’t done it, but he was still there, watching. I was in shock. I wasn’t up to teaching in the morning, but people would be bad-mouthing Pony and Johnny. I would show them the good side to these “Greasers.” Maybe then they would understand. Maybe I would understand. By helping others know of what Greasers got would perhaps help me understand why Pony had stood by and let another do such horrendous things…

Finite

Written by Kim

9 comments:

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

This is good and it's interesting of which perspective you chose. But I don't think the adults or the teachers knew what Greasers and Socs were so maybe you should change Greasers to something less cliquey, like a hood.
-Emily

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

This story is really great and I really liked how he kept denying Ponyboy ever did anything. This is well crafted and very creative.
~Julia

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

WOWWWWW
i think you did a really good job at making a character that had almost no part in the story really come alive. AMAZING detail i really really loved this one.

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I loved the story and how you took such bold creative license. I also loved the finite, i thought that that gave your piece a finishing touch.

-Griffin

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

GREAT STORY! I love all the crafted and creative detail and how the coach kept denying that Ponyboy would never do such a thing and your ending was great it really gave me a surprise how you made such a minor part become a sort of main character almost.
-Irina

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

tthat was really cool. i enjoyed it. the only thing is- what's.finiite?
but yeah, excellent job. u did an excellent persp[ective

-christine

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I think this is a really good perspective that I don't think anyone else thought about

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

~Suhaas (last comment)

kim said...

For those of you that don't know, finite means end.