Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Darry's perspective. Dalton

Outsiders

Dalton Morris

“Soda, where could he be?”

“I don’t know Darry, I’m sure he’s OK. You don’t always have to be so hard on him all the time either.”

“I’m just so worried about him.”

“I’m going to sleep.”

“Good night Soda.”

I wonder where that boy could be. He knows he can’t do that; they could be put in a boy’s home so fast. Even after all the work I’ve done to keep this family together and Pony still does stupid things. That boy never thinks, he’s probably out there without a coat on or anything. I just don’t see how a boy that smart could be so dumb sometimes. One of these times he’s gonna really get hurt. Just look at when those Soc’s jumped him, he was out there all alone with no blade or nothing. Pony got lucky last time, but next time he aint gonna be so lucky. I can’t call the cops either, that would for sure get us separated. Wait, I hear him coming up the steps! Finally, that boy is home, at least he’s safe. “Ponyboy Curtis, Where the heck have been?! You had us worried sick! Do you know what time it is boy?”

“No I don’t”

“Well it’s two in the morning, where could you have possibly been this late?”

“I fell asleep in the lot with Johnny.” Pony said quietly.

“You what?!” I screamed at him.

“You heard me, I fell asleep talking to Johnny in the lot.”

“Do you know how fast that would separate us?”

“I’m sorry Darry, I didn’t mean to”

“You didn’t mean to?”

“That’s what you always say, I didn’t mean to, I forgot, you gotta think Ponyboy, use your head!” I said, and now I was really mad at him.

“Darry, just leave the kid alone, we’ll talk about in the morning.” Soda mumbled to me.

“Soda, I’ve had enough of you sticking up for this kid.” I yelled at him.

Then I did something I truly regretted the moment after it happened. I hit Ponyboy right in the chest and he fell to the ground. My emotions just got the best of me. Pony ran out, crying.

“Pony, wait, I’m sorry!” I hollered at him.

He was running down the street like the wind, no way of catching him now. Where could he possibly go? I hope he’s okay, I feel terrible.

“C’mon Soda, were going after him.”

We searched everywhere, the lot, the drug store, the school, but we never found him. We probably searched ‘till about 5:00 am. By that time I was filled with fear, panic over came me and I flipped out inside.

I was a mess those few days Pony was gone. We asked everyone in the gang if they knew where Pony had gone. Dally said he had seen them, but wouldn’t tell me where they were going. I almost had to beat it outta him, but I decided I was too tired to get in any sorta fight, especially against Dally. Soda did give Dally a note to give to Pony, hopefully he gets it.

I kept expecting Pony to just come walking up the steps and come in and say with a smile on his face, “Hey, Darry!” By the second full day he was gone though, I knew that it wasn’t gonna happen. Also, by the end of the second day, I was worried sick and was balling like a baby too. Me and Soda thought we’d lost him like mom and dad. I was like that for the next couple of days, neither of us slept for almost that whole week.

We got some news that lifted my spirits, but also made me even more sick to my stomach, I had heard from the cops that Pony, Johnny, and Dally, were in the hospital. The cops told me the whole story, how they had saved the kids lives at the church. I was proud of Pony being a hero and all, but I was still half worried sick, and half angry at him. This is still another time where he needs to use his head this could us split up.

Anyway, me and Soda high-tailed down there to hospital, we learned Pony was fine; he only had some slight burns. When I saw Pony, I ran up there hugged him so hard I could of killed him.

“I’m happy your fine kiddo, you had me worried sick, I thought I’d lost you like we did mom and dad. And I’m awfully sorry I hit you like that Pony.”

By that time, I was already balling. I never cry, not even at mom and dad’s funeral, but this time I couldn’t help it.

Pony told us everything, how he and Johnny were at the church and how Dally had given them the heater and the money, and how they had saved those little kids. He also said that Johnny was in poor condition, he’d be paralyzed from the waist down if he lived.

“Darry, Johnny might die, it’s crazy, we can’t lose Johnny he means so much to us.” Pony said, almost crying.

Then he told us bout Dally, he was gonna be fine, a couple of weeks and he’ll have full movement is his burnt arm again. We knew good ol’ Dally would make it through; he can make it through anything. Its Johnny we’re worried about.


20 comments:

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

You can really see that Darry isn't just the mean older brother, but he is really emotioal as well. Well done!
~Julia

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

great job!!! i loved seeing it from darry's view. u can really tell he cares alot about pony


Meredith

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I can tell how emotional Darry is and how much he cares fore Pony. -Leah

Unknown said...

Very good at telling the feelings of Darry. Also, I liked how you used the exact dialogue from the book.

Unknown said...

that was really good. you really captured darry's voice well. ut really sounded like he was talking. good job!! Alex

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

You really gave a really good perspective on Darry's feelings and emotions. Good job.-Preeya

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I think you did a really good job of getting Darry's voice through. You also used the type of language that the people in the book used. That's a hard thing to do, but you did it well.
~Becky

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

You are very good at telling darry's point of view. I feel like i really know him.Very good-Bryan

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I really like like this one because i after reading the book i always had wondered what went on at the curtis household while pony was away and i think you did a really good job at making it seem believeable

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

It shows that Darry does care.~Suhaas

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

I love this it is just like the book! You put alot of desription in it and it makes you feel like you are Darry in many ways. I like how it seems like Darry isn't just like the older brother, but a sensitive, emotional father figure.
This Perspective should get an A+.
Love it!!!

~Mykelle Newsome(Me)

Students said...

I like how you showed Darry isn't so hard and cold and cares for something
-Jesse

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

You can really see that the love is deep down in darry. Nice work!
~Jimmy P.

T-Chile said...

you can really tell that darry cares a lot about pony. you did a great job of really making it from his perspective

- Tommy

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

wow good job i though darry was bitter and cold but thats just because we saw it through pony's eyes.
-Kevin R #9

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

wow good job i though darry was bitter and cold but thats just because we saw it through pony's eyes.
-Kevin R #9

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

wow good job i though darry was bitter and cold but thats just because we saw it through pony's eyes.
-Kevin R #9

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

wow good job i though darry was biiter and cold but thats just because we saw it through pony's eyes.
-Kevin R #9

Mrs. Scharf's 3/4 LA said...

(^^^Wow, Kevin...^^^)

The story was really good and you really showed how much Darry cares about Pony.
-Khalil